COLLAGEN, COLLAGEN, COLLAGEN! The more I learn about it, the more into it I become. I am in my twenties, which means my collagen production has already started to decline! But what does collagen even do? Ok, here are a few things that blew my mind! It helps reduce and heal cellulite, improves the immune, digestion, and central nervous systems, helps strengthen hair and nails, reduces and heals fine lines and wrinkles, and lubricates joints, tendons and bones. It also helps prevent the skin from absorbing pathogens, environmental toxins, microorganisms and the spreading of cancerous cells! A miracle right?!? Who wouldn’t want these benefits!?
I have heard collagen described as the cement that holds everything together and as natures botox. Anyone who follows me on snapchat knows just how obsessed I am with collagen.
I like to throw a scoop in my morning smoothie, in my afternoon tea or even in a glass of water and down it. I take it once in the AM and once in the PM. It is dissolvable in hot or cold liquids and has only the faintest of tastes, which is barely noticeable.
BEWARE when you’re shopping for collagen! A MUST is to check the ingredients. I have seen brands out there that use a lot of unnecessary fillers. You want something that has ONE INGREDIENT only. Personally, I like to use the non-GMO, grass fed, kosher beef collagen from Great Lakes. But Vital Proteins is another great company! Particularly for someone not interested in using beef, below I posted a great marine collagen product by Vital Proteins, the only down side about this brand is it’s quite a bit pricier. It is however, non-GMO, wild caught, non-flavored and contains only ONE INGREDIENT. I posted links to these items here:
Collagen is made up of lightweight, highly digestible, proteins that make up the entire body.
Here's why every woman should be drinking her collagen daily!
1. Prevents further signs of aging, like wrinkles and loosening skin (some swear it even reverses some signs of aging!) Collagen helps the skin retain moisture, which reduces the appearance of fine lines. This can also help your makeup sit better, kina like a natural makeup primer.
2. Helps prevent and reduce cellulite - as we age our natural collagen production begins to decrease, and since collagen is the building blocks for the connective tissue, ligaments and blood vessels in the skin, when collagen begins to break down, so does the strength and elasticity of the skin. When the skin begins to loose shape, cellulite become more apparent.
3. Strengthens hair and nails, this was one of the first things I noticed after taking collagen regularly. I could grow my nails for the first time in my life, literally!
4. Improves digestions - this is huge for me! A healthy digestive system can improve so many things in the entire physiology and help increase the body’s ability to get rid of toxins. First Collagen supports the body’s production of hydrochloric acid, which makes digestion in the stomach easier and secondly, collagen helps build stronger stomach and intestinal linings. These things can, in turn, improve your metabolism and energy levels.
7. Collagen helps detox—the gylcine in collagen helps minimize any damage your liver has experience
Has anyone tried collagen before? I would love to hear your thoughts or other brand you find and like!